Life in Ashland

Life in Ashland

Monday, April 26, 2010

Rand Fortin





I met cyclist Rand Fortin a couple of days ago while I was photographing over in what I call "farm country" just on the other side of I-5 from Ashland.  Rand is in town to take a 3-week course at the United Bicycle Institute, which is a world-renowned school for learning bike repair.  Students come from far and wide, which in Rand's case is Ohio.  He's newly retired and now back in school to pursue what he calls "a second career".  He eventually would like to open a bike repair shop somewhere, or, as he explained, "If that doesn't pan out, at least I'll be able to fix my own bike!"  I happened to meet him again the following day, sitting at one of Ashland's creekside restaurants relaxing with a glass of wine.  He had just completed a 35 mile bike ride.